Today’s topic is driving me cray-cray. My son, 26 months, will not eat dinner. He’s not fussy. In fact he eats everything, loves fruit and certainly isn’t going hungry. It’s just that at dinner time, he refuses to join us at the table and will not look at anything we offer up. I have tried everything including:
- Experimenting with different meal times
- Cooking him special meals
- Bribing him with juice in his favourite Dora cup
- Tough love of the ‘eat dinner or you’re not getting milk’ variety
- Food shaped like things, smothered with sauce and covered with cheese (these last two ideas were introduced by his father, of course)
And other mind-numbing, frustrating freaking things! All of the advice I find is for fussy eaters, not for kids who simply don’t ‘do’ dinner. We’ve let it go on a bit now, mainly because he has a big bottle of milk before bed, sleeps for 12 hours without fail and normally eats well at other meals. But the bigger he gets, the more active he becomes, and I want to make sure he’s getting three square meals a day and lots of delicious veg like the rest of us.
Can you offer any advice, dear friends?